Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, the Assistant Director of Financial Aid assists in upholding the highest levels of customer service to all Swarthmore College students as it relates to institutional aid processes, timelines, and communication. The Assistant Director manages a caseload of prospective and current students, counsels students and parents/guardians, reads financial aid applications, uses knowledge of relevant rules and regulations for the awarding of financial aid funds for the Office of Financial Aid. The Assistant Director is a key member of the Financial Aid Office team.
• Read and review financial aid applications and award prospective and current Swarthmore College students with federal, state, and institutional financial aid funds using federal and institutional need-based analysis methodologies.
• Manage a caseload of several hundred students and their parents and guardians, serving as their point of contact and advisement from initial application to graduation.
• Remain current with regulatory changes and professional best practices.
• Follow and implement policies and procedures.
• Make financial aid presentations to students, families, and counselors on campus and at high schools and community based organizations.
• Work closely with other campus offices (Student Account’s Office, Registrar, etc.)
• Participate in Admissions events, including selected evening and weekend events.
• Determine student eligibility for Federal Title IV aid.
• Help maintain a positive, customer service-oriented office atmosphere while providing administrative support and oversight of the daily operations of the Office.
• Interact with students, parents and guardians, and campus personnel in a positive, professional, and highly confidential manner.
• During heavy volume periods, assist with coverage of front line office duties such as answering phone calls, emails, and drop in visits.
• Evening and weekend hours during periods of heavy work volume and some travel expected.
• Is a full member of the Financial Aid Committee.
• Over time, provide special oversight and management for internal or external aid programs.
• Perform additional duties as needed and assigned by the Director.
Minimum Qualifications: • Bachelor's degree • Three or more years of experience working in financial aid at a college or university setting. • Attention to detail with strong analytical and quantitative reasoning skills. • Exceptional written and oral communication skills, and student based counseling experience. • Commitment to the principles of access and diversity, providing exceptional customer service, and thriving in a fast paced environment with high expectations for performance and productivity. • Unquestioned personal and professional ethical standards. Preferred Special Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities: • Experience working with Institutional Methodology. • Detailed knowledge of Federal, State and Institutional Financial aid regulations. • Previous experience managing/stewarding scholarship programs. • Demonstrated experience in analyzing and recommending significant improvements in departmental operations. • Ability to work without direct supervision. • Demonstrated ability to establish and meet objectives within limited time frames and under tight deadlines. • Proven leadership skills. • Familiarity with highly selective college or university settings. • Innovative thinking and technological vision.
Applicants may apply electronically via Swarthmore College's Human Resources website: https://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job/494180/assistant-director-financial-aid
To apply for this job please visit careers.swarthmore.edu.