Student Financial Services Counselor
Are you interested in joining a compassionate community to help students achieve their educational goals?
Then Mercyhurst University is the place for you!
Mercyhurst University is seeking a Student Financial Services Counselor to become a part of our dynamic and spirited team. Join us on Mercyhurst’s beautiful campus, with views of Lake Erie, to serve students navigating financial aid and their accounts. As you assist students in affording their educations, you can consider continuing yours or your family’s too, as Mercyhurst offers wonderful tuition benefits for both undergraduate and graduate coursework.
To learn more about our campus community, please see: #YouAreWelcomeHere
To learn more about this employment opportunity, please visit: Mercyhurst Human Resources or see below
We look forward to meeting you!
The Office of Student Financial Services (SFS)
The SFS Counselor assists and supports the director in the administration of student financial assistance, scholarship, and student employment programs in compliance with federal and state regulations and institutional policies. The SFS Counselor manages one or more federal, state and institutional student aid programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Includes, but not limited to:
• Coordinate/manage one or more federal, state and institutional financial aid programs. This includes ensuring compliance, developing and maintaining written procedures in the administration of the program, setting and following an annual schedule of activities and deadlines required to administer the program, monitoring and overseeing program budget, and reconciling student aid and/or scholarship fund accounts.
• Analyze, interpret and follow federal, state and institutional regulations and guidelines in administering one or more federal, state, private and institutional student aid and scholarship programs.
• Perform student aid needs analysis, verification of financial data and other criteria to confirm student aid eligibility, federal state and institutional financial aid award packaging, process and certify educational loans for students and parents, and other procedures necessary to deliver financial aid to students.
• Counsel and advise students on the student aid application process, costs and billing, requirements for eligibility, needs analysis, process for change in financial circumstances, rights and responsibilities regarding student aid, academic progress requirements and procedures for appealing, and other information related to student scholarships, grants, work and loans.
• Provide customer service activities in person, by telephone, email and IM in a fast paced, high volume setting.
• Conduct Financial Aid and Debt Counseling workshops/presentations.
• Attend occasional professional development conferences on or off campus which may require travel and overnight stay.
• Fund reconciliation.
• Demonstrate excellence in interpersonal and communication skills with emphasis on superior customer service in a high-volume environment. Ability to represent the office in a positive and professional demeanor and appearance. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and pro-actively as a member of a team.
• Ability to work in a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion.
• High level of personal responsibility along with a positive and cooperative attitude. Demonstrate initiative and follow through on tasks and ownership for assigned functions.
• Demonstrate ability to manage multiple tasks and handle time sensitive competing priorities. Ability to quickly identify and respond to wide-ranging topics, including taking steps to resolve problems effectively.
• May include staff and student work study supervision.
• Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
An associate’s degree and at least one year of financial aid experience is required, however an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. Knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations, needs analysis, student budgets, financial aid packaging, professional judgment policies, debt management, federal and state grants, scholarships, work and loan programs is required. Experience with Colleague database a plus.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications is required. Effective public speaking and interpersonal/counseling skills are required. Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks and complete various projects within designated deadlines. Must have excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills, be a self-starter, team player, detail oriented, ability to work independently and have a positive attitude toward customer service.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Excellent communication skills including speaking effectively before groups of students/parents/others; Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; Ability to manage complex tasks in a demanding environment; Ability to work independently, make routine decisions, and solve practical problems; Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff and other agencies as part of the Student Financial Services team; Knowledge of student aid, regulations and policies; Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments; Ability to handle confidential information and material in a professional and ethical manner; Ability to analyze and decipher information; Ability to show sensitivity to parents and students during potentially difficult and sometimes emotional financial situations; Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Mercyhurst University values diversity and is committed to the goal of achieving equal opportunity for all. For that reason, Mercyhurst abides by federal, state and local law in admissions, employment and all services and programs provided.
Mercyhurst does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, citizenship status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, age, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic or because of any individual’s legally protected activities.
Mercyhurst complies with federal, state and local legislation and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. This policy applies to faculty, administration and staff, applicants for employment, students and applicants for educational programs and activities.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
Associate's degree and one year of financial aid experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com