Graduate Student Financial Services Counselor
Wilkes University invites applicants for a Financial Aid Counselor to assist new and continuing graduate students with identifying and pursing funding opportunities. This position is part of the Student Financial Services Office and reports directly to the Assistant Director / Manager of graduate student financial aid. The Graduate Student Financial Services Counselor provides top quality customer service, advising students and families on financial aid opportunities; performs functions related to the technical and functional financial aid processes; conducts student needs analysis; packages student financial aid; monitors and processes federal verification; provides student and parent counseling by phone, text, email, live chat and possibly in person.
Full time with potential option for remote work. Visits to Wilkes-Barre campus will be required.
Job requirements include, but are not limited to:
– With a focus on top quality customer service and quick response time, provide counseling assistance to students, families, and the outside community regarding financial aid opportunities; answer questions, inquiries or requests from students, parents or guardians in writing, over the phone or through live chat regarding financial aid programs and eligibility. The Counselor will advise applicants on federal, state and institutional student financial aid programs, regulations, eligibility requirements and application procedures.
– Throughout the processing cycle, review Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSAs); perform need analysis; follow-up on missing or inconsistent data; determine student eligibility in accordance with federal, state and University awarding policies.
– Process federal verifications as mandated by federal law; review the students’ and/or parents’ federal income taxes and compare information on taxes to information filed on the FAFSA; identify and correct any discrepancies and make appropriate aid adjustments.
– Interact with students, parents, lenders, employers, guarantee agencies and/or staff to resolve issues.
– Collaborate with graduate admissions team and Online Program Management staff to coordinate graduate student enrollment activities.
– Participate in student orientations, open houses and other special events as necessary.
– This position primarily works with graduate students enrolled in both on-campus and online graduate programs (Certificate, Master’s and Doctoral) but may also assist the undergraduate Student Financial Services team as needed.
– Bachelor’s degree required. Preference given to candidates with degrees in business, finance or related field
– Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in financial aid, student counseling or a related area is necessary. Experience in higher education, sales or online / distance education is preferred.
– Knowledge of general regulations governing the administration of federal, state and college financial aid programs (including grant and loan programs).
– Knowledge of financial aid application procedures and forms.
– Knowledge of various software programs (Excel, Word, etc.) and CRM
– Knowledge of routine office equipment and procedures.
– Experience using Ellucian’s BANNER is preferred.
– Must be self-directed, able to set goals and determine how to achieve results.
– Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
– Excellent customer service skills.
– Strong written and oral communication skills.
– Accurate in work and attention to detail.
– Excellent organizational skills that include effective planning and time management.
– Commitment to diversity and sensitivity to the needs of educationally and economically disadvantaged students.
– High energy with strong work ethic.
– Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus.
Preference given to candidates with knowledge / experience related to graduate and/or Distance Education. Ideal candidate may also have experience working with Veteran benefits and processes along with related ROTC benefits knowledge.
Wilkes University is an independent, comprehensive university dedicated to academic excellence in the liberal arts, sciences, and selected professional programs. The University has approximately 2,350 students at the undergraduate level and over 1,350 full time equivalent students at the graduate and first professional levels.
Its institutional focus is on developing strong mentoring relationships with each of its students and contributing vitally to economic development of Northeastern Pennsylvania. The University is located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, a revitalized city that is located on the lovely Susquehanna River and is within two and one-half hours driving distance of New York City and Philadelphia.
Wilkes University is constantly seeking to become a more diverse community and to enhance its capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. The University strongly encourages applications from persons with diverse backgrounds. Wilkes University does not discriminate in its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military or veteran status, or genetic information.
To apply, visit https://wilkesuniversitycareers.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Please be sure to include a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae and three references.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com